Thursday, August 7, 2008

BIRTHDAY CAKE, JACKSON - 3 YRS OLD

A plane in the sky. I was going to do a train birthday cake and get Jackson a new Thomas the Train car, but when I went to Toys R Us I had forgotten how expensive they were. So we went to another toy store to see what trains they had and when Jackson saw this plane he grabbed it and started running around the store with it. It was a about 1/2 the price of a new train car so I changed to a plane cake. Jackson had fun helping me make it.



It actually doesn't look to appetizing from this angle, but it was good. I should have spent more time on the decorating. I did the top while we were at the park right before cutting it. The cotton candy kept on sticking to my hands so I did the best I could without any water to wash off my hands.
Double Chocolate Brownies baked in 2 - 8 or 9 inch cake pans (I used 9", Ghirardelli Brownies - YUM, YUM!!, brownie recipe from Candace would be good too)
Cardboard disk with 9-inch diameter, covered w/aluminum foil (next time I would top with saran wrap as well - easier when cutting)
1 pint ice cream - peppermint stick, pistachio, butter crunch or black raspberry, slightly softened (used mint chocolate chip - would try a different kind next time)
1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves
3/4 c finely chopped walnuts or chocolate cookie crumbs (used mint oreos - I think nuts might taste better)
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar (didn't use - used cotton candy and **marshmallows for topping)
Cook brownies and cool completely.
Put one layer on top of covered circle.
Soften ice cream and spread on brownie using a spatula.
Top with other brownie layer and gently press down to compact the cake.
Now wrap entire cake with foil and freeze for at least 3 hours.
Unwrap cake and spread jelly around sides. With palm of hand press nuts or cookie crumbs into the jam.
Top cake with sugary decoration. Can cut shapes from a sheet of paper and place on cake. Sprinkle sugar and gently remove paper.
Either serve cake immediately or freeze. Remove about 15-20 mintues before serving.
The Grays came and ate it with us (Lisa, Kambria, Jenna, Jaydan and Kylan). There was maybe enough for 3 more people. So serves about 10-12.
We ate it at Splash and then opened presents.
**Put marshmallows on plate that had been sprayed with Pam. Cooked in microwave for 15 seconds on 50% power. With butter on fingers smashed into cloud shape. Put on wax paper that had been sprayed with Pam. Put in freezer and left until ready to go on cake. Once they are froze they can break in two very easily. Be careful when removing from wax paper - remove slowly.

No comments: