Wednesday, August 6, 2008

STUFFED SPINACH WON TONS

Would like to try Fancy Chicken Egg Rolls (see would like to try - recipes)

Had extra wraps (see post for Blackberry dessert) so I decided to make one of the recipes they listed on the packaging. It went over really well. All of us liked them. I don't normally like egg roll type things, but I did like these. I didn't notice they showed you how to wrap them until I was all done, so I just basically filled them and then rolled (so the ends were open). I didn't brush with anything either. I also realized I forgot to add the oil when I was sauting - still turned out fine (it is hard cooking during office hours when rent is due, too many interuptions - ugh!).

How to wrap: 1. Place filling in center of wrap. 2. Fold in half (brush edges with water or egg white to seal). 3. Bring corners together. 4. Overlap center; brush with water or egg white and press to seal.

Saute for 5 mintues at medium heat:
1 TBS oil
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 medium onion, minced
2 cups chopped spinach
3 TBS seasame seeds
Combine in a bowl with:
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp fresh ground ginger (see note below)
1 TBS sherry (I used red wine vinegar)
3 TBS soy sauce
------
1 pkg AZUMAYA Square Wraps

Fill wraps and deep fry until brown. Used stainless steel pan and about a 1 cup of oil for frying on med-high heat. They cook really fast.

About ginger: I didn't have fresh so I used what I had in the cupboard. I thought it was too strong of a taste, but Scott liked it. So next time I would either get fresh ginger (bulk section??), leave it out or just use less. As we were eating Scott reminded me that my favorite meal at Ring of Fire is Orange Ginger Chicken. They also have ginger lemonade that I like - wonder what kind of ginger they use?

No comments: