Sunday, March 3, 2013

DIY HARD TACOS

DIY HARD TACOS
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/11/how-to-make-hard-taco-shells-in-your-ovenplus-a-recipe-for-baked-tacos.html

I was kinda surprised this really worked. I had my doubts.  Everyone really liked them. I didn't love the meat mixture, but thought it was okay.  Scott and the kids really liked it.  I would definitely make these again. So much healthier and cheaper than buying boxed taco shells.

UPDATE: SEE BELOW FOR RECIPE TO USE LEFTOVERS



HOW TO MAKE HARD TACO SHELLS IN YOUR OVEN, PLUS . . . A RECIPE FOR BAKED TACOS!


baked tacos This recipe has got to be one of the bigger successes I have had in the kitchen in a long time! Everyone in the family LOVED these!  Not a speck was leftover, which is always a sign that it really and truly was a HIT.
This dish has so many things going for it, that there wasn’t much chance it would be a FAIL, but one never knows with me. :-)
First of all….it’s TACOS!  I honestly don’t think I’ve ever met anyone that doesn’t like tacos in one form or another.
It’s quick and easy to make.
It’s got a “Make Your Own”aspect to it…which always makes me happy.
AND…it’s gluten-free!
Oh yeah…and it’s delicious.
Let’s start with the DIY portion of this dish…making the taco shells.
I can count on ONE HAND the number of times I have actually ever purchased hard taco shells from the store. I like the way one guy referred to them in a comment I read. He called themoverpriced preformed tortilla shapes. lol.  That pretty much sums it up right there. They are always a disappointment. Especially since crisp taco shells are my favorite.
So this tip for making crunchy taco shells in your oven was mind-blowing to me. Why oh why haven’t I known about this before now!  All the wasted years that have gone by! ;-)
Let’s not waste another minute!
How to Make Your Own Baked Taco Shells
Working with 6 tortillas at a time, wrap in a barely damp cloth or paper towel and microwave on High until steamed, about 30 seconds. Lay the tortillas on a clean work surface and coat both sides with cooking spray. Then carefully drape each tortilla over two bars of the oven rack. Bake at 375°F until crispy, 7 to 10 minutes.

baked tacos

What??? That’s IT?? Ridiculously easy. The only thing that makes it even slightly difficult is having to do more than one batch. Of course, in hindsight, I could have definitely done another row of shells on the back of the oven rack. Oh well, next time…because there is definitely going to be a next time…and a next time…and a next time…
Now that we have our shells, we are ready to make Baked Tacos! Why I never thought of this before completely mystifies me. It makes perfect sense. I especially like how the cheese is nice and melty instead of cold like on a traditional taco.

baked tacos
I have posted my version of the recipe from Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures below…but you really just need to make taco meat/filling like you usually do, fill the shells and bake them casserole style! I decided to try a variation on Lynn’s recipe and we all liked it a lot! We might just have a new go-to way to eat tacos around here. (Just between you and me, I didn’t tell No. 3 son – aka The World’s Pickiest Eater – that there was refried beans in the taco meat…and he didn’t even notice. I think he ended up having six! lol. shhhhh)
Baked Tacos
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 can refried beans
  • 15 ounce tomato sauce
  • 1 pkg taco seasoning or 2 – 3 Tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning)
  • 1 – 2 cups shredded cheese (I didn’t measure)
  • 18-20 hard taco shells (I think I used 15, but I crammed them pretty full)
  • Your favorite taco toppings.
baked tacos
Brown ground beef. Drain off any fat and add refried beans, tomato sauce, and seasoning.
Spoon mixture into taco shells.
Place filled shells into a 9×13 pan, standing up. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
baked tacos
baked tacos

As you can see from the picture…I topped my taco with a Tomatillo Salsa that I purchased at a local restaurant called Loco Lizard Cantina. It is THE BEST green salsa! I really need to figure out how to make a homemade version of it. It was soooooooo good on the baked tacos! (If anyone has a good recipe…please share!)

baked tacos

FRITO DISH
Made this dish with the leftovers.  We all really liked it.  I had the Fritos scoops.  Crushed them with hands so they weren't so big.  Didn't add any extra salt or pepper.  Put one cheese in the mixture and 1 cup on top with Fritos.  Had with fresh cut up tomatoes, lettuce and guacamole. 

Ingredients
1 1/4 pounds ground beef
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
1 (4 oz.) can mild green chiles, diced
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, or Mexican cheese blend
2 cups Fritos (or corn chips of your choice), divided
1 cup salsa
1/4 cup water
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef until cooked through and no longer pink.
  3. Drain fat, reserving 1 tablespoon, and saute onions until softened and translucent. 6-8 minutes.
  4. Season with salt and pepper and add taco seasoning. Return beef to pan, then add salsa, chiles and water.
  5. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
  6. Remove from heat and stir in rice, cheddar cheese, and refried beans, and transfer mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish.
  7. Top with 1 cup Fritos and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and dish is warmed through.
  8. Remove from oven, top with remaining Fritos and serve hot.

No comments: