Wednesday, May 17, 2017

THIN PIZZA CRUST

THIN PIZZA CRUST
Yum!  We really liked this.  Makes 3-4 crusts.  Used round stoneware and the oil dripped in oven.  Next time only use extra oil if using cookie sheet.

Keep on reading for the SECRET TIP!

4 1/2 cups flour (did 3/4 c wheat)
1 tsp. salt
1 tbs. yeast dissolved in 
1 3/4 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil (plus more for pans)

Dissolve the yeast in your warm water.  

Add all ingredients together in your kitchen aid (or other mixer with a dough hook) and knead on medium until dough is combines and pulls away from the bowl. 

Then let is rest and rise for about 30 minutes to an hour.

This is the secret (INSERT FIREWORKS HERE!!!) to the best crust (I didn't believe it until my sister in law, Gracie, made me try it...) is to oil your pans with a ton of oil (I already knew that trick) and then oil your crust with even MORE oil once it is on the pan!

Bake your pizza with all your favorite toppings in an oven on 425 ? until your crust comes out looking like this:

You want to be able to lift the crust up without it drooping... it's almost like a cracker texture.

It is sooooooo good. The olive oil not only makes it the crunchiest crust you can imagine, but it also gives the most amazing flavor to your pizza!

Doesn't this make you want pizza right now?! This crust is perfection!

Comments:

This is my "go to" crust now! Thank you! I did not use a Kitchen Aid, instead I just kneaded it for a good 5 minutes, until really smooth. Also used bread flour, b/c Alton Brown said that the extra protein in it makes a chewier crust...have to say it did! I also just baked it on a pizza stone, but I think the secret that you have is the 1/4 cup of oil in the dough! Amazing! Thank you! BTW, how many pizzas do you get out of this? I made two enormous ones. I'm thinking I could make 3, 12" thin crust as well! Great recipe!

Reply
Hannah HathawayJuly 13, 2013 at 10:49 PM
You just made my day! Love the tip about the bread flour. I'll have to try that one out! :)

As far as how many it makes for me: 3-4 thin crusts. Sometimes I use the extra dough for calzones and freeze them... Other times I just make an extra pizza... We like cold day old pizza in our home! :)

My dad and I have a traditional pizza night whenever I come home from college. We were searching for a crispy, cracker-like crust recipe, and this is it! We do whole wheat instead of white, however the result is still fantastic! Thanks for this great recipe! We use it every pizza night now!

I love the flavor but I can't seem to get my crust as thin as yours. So it doesn't come as crispy. Any suggestions?

Reply
Replies

Hannah @ We Lived Happily Ever AfterJanuary 16, 2015 at 11:15 AM
Make sure you water is really warm/hot. This will allow your dough to be pliable. Another tip is to add more water or oil (start with a little, and add more as needed) so the dough is more moist. It may be a little messier, but it will roll out smoother. Hope that helps! :)

I tried this with a pizza stone and lost the whole bottom of the pizza! I really enjoyed the crust that I could salvage. I am going to try again tonight with some parchment paper between the crust and stone, so I can still have the olive oil on the bottom. **fingers crossed** Just wanted anyone with a pizza stone to know :) Thanks for the great recipe! Hopefully, this will allow me to continue using my pizza stone and this new method.

Reply

Audrey ChristleyApril 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM
Love this crust!!!! I have been in search of a great thin crust for over a year and this is the one!!! The only changes I made was that I bake the crust first for about 5 minutes in the oven before putting my toppings on it. This helped make it almost a cracker crust which we love. Awesome recipe :)

No comments: