Sunday, February 4, 2018

CHOCOLATE-CARAMEL CAKE


CHOCOLATE-CARAMEL CAKE
This recipe came from America's Test Kitchen.  I think Judi had me copy it one time I was at their house.  It was very tasty!  Good with ice cream (we had cinnamon on hand) or a glass of milk.  This recipe is a lot of steps.  I would never plan on taking it anywhere.  Too many things can go wrong!  I made the cake the day before and froze them.  This made it way easier to cut into two pieces. I burned the caramel the first time - so watch it!  Took about 15 minutes in each step for caramel.

UPDATE: This cake is so much better the 2nd day.  I didn't think it could get better, but man on man....yum!  So worth all the effort!  The caramel is kinda soaked in and it is so moist!

CAKE
Sift together:
1 3/4 flour
3/4 c cocoa

Add & stir:
3/4 c sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

Add & stir:
3/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c water
1/4 c oil

Add & stir:
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Put in 2 9" pans that have been greased and floured.  Bake at 325 for 22-28 minutes.  Cool and split into two layers (4 total).  I froze mine.

CARAMEL
Put in pan on medium heat.  DO NOT STIR but can swirl.  Boil until light amber in color (375)
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c water
1/4 c corn syrup

Remove from heat and gradually stir in:
1 c heavy cream
8 T butter
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp salt

Return to medium heat and heat to 240 or 245 (recipe said this should take 3-5 min.  It took me about 15 minutes).  Put in a 9" square pan to cool.

FROSTING
Mix together:
2 cubes butter
3/4 c powdered sugar
1/2 c cocoa
Next add:
1/2 c corn syrup
3/4 tsp vanilla
Then:
3/4 c melted chocolate chips


No comments: