Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WHEAT BREAD

I really like the wheat bread recipe that is in the MADE FROM SCRATCH folder.  Same page as the orange rolls are on.

JaNAE'S WHEAT BREAD
REALLY EASY WHEAT BREAD (SOFT CRUST)

Got this reicpe from Stephanie's blog who got it from - http://theemptynextlife.blogspot.com/2008/wheat-bread-for-one-year.html) I really like this recipe. I have made it a couple of time and it is very easy to work with. I have grinded the wheat both small and big - we liked both. I half the recipe because I only have 3 pans - works great for us.
UPDATE 2/13: Love this recipe.  I make almost weekly now.  I usually 1/2 the recipe and make 2 big loaves and 1 small loaf (Abagail's).

This is a 1/2 wheat 1/2 white recipe.

Mix:
7 cups wheat flour
5 cups hot water
2 T yeast
Let it sit for a few minutes. This will help the flour absorb.

Mix in:
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup oil
1 T salt

Add:
5-6 cups white flour (until dough is no longer sticky)

If you have time: Knead bread and raise in a bowl. The more times you do this the less crumbly the bread will be. If not enough time to skip to below steps.

Divide and place in 6 medium loaf pans (7x3x2)
Raise for 40 minutes
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

BALLOON WHEAT BREAD
Got this recipe from Valley View Ward, Rexburg ID by Charlene Walters.  She brought some to an Enrichment Meeting.  It was yummy.  A very good consistency.  Takes 15-16 cups whole wheat flour.  Not sure how many loves this would make.  My guess would be 6 ormore.

Combine:
6 c warm water
1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 T salt
3/4 c powdered milk
1/2 c honey
1/2 c gluten
1/4 c liquid lecithin (can be bought at health food store)
1/2 c oil

Dissolve:
4 t yeast in 1 c warm water

Blend in 5 c whole wheat flour to liquid mixture then add yeast mixture.  Blend well and kneed in 10-11 cups more whole wheat flour.  Let raise once and form into loaves and put in greased loaf pans.  Raise until double and bake for 25-30 min at 350.

1 comment:

Stephanie Johnson said...

I've made that recipe twice and really like it. I only have 2 bread pans so I make the other loaves in my 8x8 glass pans. That works really well also and I freeze the extra loaves so we can enjoy them fresh all week long.