Monday, March 29, 2010

SALADS

CONFETTI CORN SALAD
Scott was looking at this salad very suspiciously, but he was surprisingly liked it. I really liked it. I liked it more than I like Cowboy Corn Salad. I doubled the recipe just because of the can sizes.

1 can (7 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (2 1/4 oz) slice ripe olives (can add whole olives too)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
2 radishes, sliced
1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing*

*I made my own: 1/4 c. basalmic vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tsp honey, 2 garlic cloves (or 1 big one) smashed. Add all together and shake.

Add all the ingredients and toss to coat.

GREEN TREASURE SALAD
This tasted really good and it was fun to have the kids help make.

1 cup green apple
1 cup green grapes
1/2 cup marshmallows
1/2 cup lemon yogurt
2 T slivered almonds
Mix everything together.
for more 5 a day recipes go to: www.5aday.gov

COOKIE SALAD
This recipe comes from Melody. It is very yummy! The kids loved helping me make it. A definite crowd pleaser. It is also good without the cookies.

1 pint strawberries
2 cups seedless grapes
1 small can pineapple tidbits, drained
2 bananas, sliced
1 12 oz carton Cool Whip
1 3 oz package instant vanilla or cheesecake pudding (sugar free works too)
1 cup buttermilk
1 pkg fudge striped cookies, broken

Combine fruit. Mix Cool Whip, buttermilk, & dry pudding mix in a separate bowl. Fold into fruit. Just before serving, fold in broken cookies. Serves 20. (I doubled it for the blessing.)

You can vary the fruit. If you want it just like I made it, use 2 lbs. strawberries, 5 bananas, 1 can pineapple chunks (drained), and 1 can mandarin oranges (drained). (That's just for the single recipe, not doubled.) Oh, and I found that I much prefer the store brand fudge-striped cookies (I used Kroger brand) to the Keebler variety. Cheaper and not as waxy.

ASIAN SALAD
Scott didn't like this salad, but I did. It reminded me of the one from Costco that I really like.

2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
1 (10 oz) bag shredded cabbage with carrots (if it doesn't have shred 2 carrots)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 T chopped cilantro (I didn't add)
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 cup non-fat Asian or Oriental salad dressing (next time I would use an expensive good kind instead of Kraft)
black pepper
---
1 tangerine (I used canned mandarian oranges)
3 green onions, thinly sliced

Mix everything together except green onions and tangerines. Put them on the top at the end.

No comments: